Detached Chain in Silk Ribbon




Detached Chain Stitch No. 2

In my earlier posting, the photo instructions 
were mainly focused on Lazy Daisy Stitch.
So I thought  you might like to see a more 
detailed tutorial in Silk Ribbon.



Satin - n - Cream Quilt Kit 

Detached Chain Flower spray to adorn a Satin Baby Quilt.
Could also be added to any Bridal Accessories.





Detached Chain Stitch
 is executed  in much the same way as Lazy Daisy.
It is best if you only use between 2 and  4 mm
 ribbons in this stitch. 
The wider ones are more difficult to shape.
The material may be held in an Embroidery Hoop 
or free in the hand. 
Most of my students have found it easier to use the 
hoop to begin with,
leaving both hands free to work  the ribbon.
When using a hoop it is difficult to take the needle diagonally across the fabric.
 The fabric being taut your fingers will suffer,
and I am sure you won't want to leave 
blood stains on your work. 

If doing this free hand take care that the fabric is not gathering as you stitch.

When using the ribbon I personally prefer the ribbon
to be flattened out and smooth. 
This gives a fuller petal. Whereas if you leave it 
with a twist then you get a thinner petal.





For an example here I have crossed the ribbon over
 at the top and did not straighten out the ribbon.
Not the same desired effect, do you agree.

The length of your first petal will determine the size
 of the completed flower. By having a longer petal, 
in turn you need a greater number of petals to 
fill the circle.

Place a finger into the loop before pulling it through
and straighten out the ribbon.




Take it a little slower than if you were working
 with thread, and you will have more control over the shaping of the petal.
 




By  taking the needle back through beyond the loop,
 you will be making a slight tip to the petal.

I have only created six petals to this flower, it would
 have been possible to add a seventh. 
( with 4 mm. ribbon ).





Instead I have filled the space with a leaf in the same stitch.  By  placing  it further down, and with the 
addition of a pearl, the flower takes shape.




Link to the Free Design of This Design

Everything you will need to create your
first Silk Ribbon Embroidery.
















In Embroidery Thread Stem Stitch the stalk of the
leaf and add Detached Chain Leaves.
Also can be used for buds as in the Rosebud Tutorial.
So many uses for this Stitch, you will see it 
quite often in Silk Ribbon Embroidery.


Carol Daisy

Comments

  1. Hi carol, I linked you on my sidebar here...
    http://crazyquiltingjourney.blogspot.com/
    because your generous and beautiful tutorials for SRE will help others begin their CQ embellishment journey. If you would rather I not, please let me know and I will remove it.
    Your work is perfection.
    Hugs,Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty! I love your work! I do so very much want to learn SRE and do Crazy Quilting with it and my tatting!
    ~TattingChic ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Carol, your tutorials are very lovely.and you are generous.

    But do watermark your pictures with your blog address.

    other people - I discover atleast 4 thru statcounter copying and pasting entire tutorials and passing it off as their own has put me off blogging all together. It may take me a while to want to share again.

    after all the time and energy I put into getting each pics just right, I don't have the energy to take everything down and watermark and put them up again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment