Tutorial - Folded Ribbon Rose

 
Once you have mastered  the basic folding technique of these Roses, they can be created from a wide variety of Ribbons.
The photo here shows them made in  Satin Ribbon,
Satin Ribbon / Organza Ribbon Combination and Organza with a Gold Thread Edge.

 
Hand Dyed Silk Ribbon 25 mm.


For a much softer effect of course you would use Silk Ribbon.
The Hand Dyed Silk Ribbons which are available in the wider
sizes are ideal for this.  The variance in colour through the
ribbon becomes shading in the petals, making it much more
realistic.

Ribbon Edged Organza Ribbon  20 mm.


Step 1:  Cut the Ribbon edge at an angle.
Fold the ribbon forward diagonally, leaving a tail.

 Step 2:  Fold over the ribbon starting from
the right, making a firm centre for the rose.
Stitch to hold in matching thread.
( For this tutorial I have a different colour
thread to make it easier for you to see ).

Step 3:  Fold the ribbon diagonally to the back.
Step 4:  Wrap the fold around the rose centre, each one
of the folds becomes a petal.
Continue in this way until you have the desired size rose.
 
Take care not to have all the folds on the one side of your rose. 
On the outer petals as the rose is growing in size, you may 
need to gather the ribbon at the base a little to prevent this.


Step 5:  On the last fold stitch the ribbon to the base and cut 
off  at an angle. Notice how the gold thread alternates
through the petals. The same with combining two ribbons
such as Satin and Organza.

Hint:  Should you be concerned about wastage of Ribbon,
an alternative is to replace this with crepe paper double fold.
This paper holds firm without stitching by pressing the folds 
in place.  Allows you to have a few practice runs.

Be patient in time you will be able to do them
with very little effort.

Carol Daisy


Comments

  1. Thank you so much for this tutorial. I am saving the instructions. I am always on the lookout for ribbon tutorials. I am sure this rose will find its way on a Crazy Quilt in my near future:)


    Ann Flowers
    flowerscrazyq@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. MUITO OBRIGADO POR NOS ENSINAR TÃO BELAS FLORES,AMO BORDADO EM FITA.ABRAÇOS DO BRASIL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I am so glad that I found your blog, its a treasure I think... love it very much and I am your newest follower . Ribbon emboridery is one of my favourite... although I dont post anything till on my blog but soon I ll be going some with it. Do I link your this project to my blog...

    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/

    Its my blog, please pay a visit there may be you can find something interesting, and let me know can I link up your this tuotorial...
    Love

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment